Dansk date Randers
During industrialization, Randers quickly became one of the most important industrial towns in the country, but it saw itself outpaced by the cities of Aarhus and Aalborg at the beginning of the 20th century.
Most of the larger historic industries in Randers are gone today.
The name appears to stem from Rand (hillside) and Aros (river mouth) and probably means "town on the hillside by the river mouth".
The oldest forms of the town's name appear on coins minted from the times of King George (1080–86) until those of Svend Grathe (1146–57).
The coins bear the names Ranrosia, Ransias, Radrusia, Rand and Randrusia.
These streets follow a circular path, presumably following the location of the historic walls.
Street names include Østervold ("Eastern Defense Wall"), Nørreport ("Northern Gate"), Vestervold ("Western Defense Wall"), and Lille Voldgade ("Little Defense Wall Street").
Randers became a thriving market town in medieval times, and many of its 15th-century half-timbered houses remain today, as does St Martin's Church, also from that period.